Monday, March 27, 2006

Mixed Feelings


Finally I collect my thoughts and decide to write about Life of Pi. I have been thinking about the book for as long as I took to read it.

The book really has three parts, all three can be read seperately perhaps. The begining is interesting in itself. The concept of child's facination with religions is new (and maybe unique). I loved that bit.

The second part is his journey across the Atlantic in the boat with animals. Engaging, but I got grossed out several times. That I kept coming back to the book all the same bodes well. Yann Martel takes great care in describing his characters, and everything that happens in the book.

The last part is what has made me dread writing this :( The book needed an explaination, and the end provides you with the same. But I didn't think what it might be, and I was to say shocked.
Shocked, for the book is too real and scary when one looks back at it.

Its a tale of a man's persevarance, and a tale of survival. How a man can go to extremes in order to stay alive.

In all, I think the book was enticing and disgusting at the same time. If you ask me, I will tell you to read it but with caution. Perhaps I am reading too much into it..
and yet its so well written that its hard to ignore the mute points.

4 Comments:

Blogger Born a Libran said...

I agree with most of your review... I do agree that the first part of the book where he talks about India as a cauldron of religions is the most charming part of the book (though I didnt remember that part of the book as much as the end). The second part of the book is dry patient suspense.. I never thought of suspense in these cut and dry terms but I think, it is very dry and you need patience to read it with only curiosity as to what will happen next driving you to turn the page.. In addition, it is also the fact that it is a different kind of book that really makes you read it... The last part of the book is shocking n also repulsive in some ways. I do think that what is important though is one could use symbology to create a whole different world is a great aspect of the book.. to create an alternate ending is still possible but to change how you look at the whole book with that final chapter is terrific - I had new found respect for the author but at the same time, having this repulsive feeling as to the levels human beings can stoop to. Unfortunately, survival is the only instinct that is natural to any organism in Earth and, while, humans treat ourselves as superior because of social norms and society, I am sure that when survival comes on the line, the book could turn into reality.

1:26 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

Actually for most part I found the book a good read. I was surprised that I was happy to read this book without worrying where it was going..It could be cause I was reading exactly 20 minutes at a time in the train or
the fact that you had told me the end was interesting :)

You are right about how Yann MArtel is clever with the ending. The possible alternative ending is scary and disgusting :( yet so very possible! just like you think..

I just wish I wouldn't think of it off and on with alternative story and get grossed out.. if you know what i mean!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Bdeshini said...

The critical part of this book is the end where everything that happened in the middle comes crashing down. In this way, the beginning and middle are also important in setting up the story. So, if you must, skip only a few pages in the middle.

I thought this was awesome book because it poignantly shows how the human mind adjusts to deal with extreme trauma. A must read . . .

2:36 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

@bdeshini : Its a good read for sure. And like I said..I didnt find it dragging at all. Just zapped me out it did :)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home