Monday, January 16, 2006

Real scare!!

In 1984, I had been in primary school for a year now. World was at the very least amazing :) 20 years later I read George Orwell's book 1984 and my world spuns around. Of course the book is in anticipation of 1984 ( result of cold war). What scares me most about this book is that its not so impossible to come true.

It all started with my friend sending me ebook versions of George Orwell's books. First was Animal Farm. The second was 1984 and the third I forget. Now my friend is reading this then I should tell him, that it was slightly disappointing for a birthday present :) Reading books online is not fun at all. So I took a print out of Animal farm which was the shortest one. Read it on my flight to India. It made a good read. I vaguely remember it as being disillusioning.
It turned out that this book 1984 turned up at my aunt's place (who lives very close to our place) right then. Just for fun I have to tell you that books keep disappearing and reappearing at my and my aunt's place periodically. This is what ensues when you have several relatives and no on eot keep track of the books being borrowed :)
Anyway, before I go on I have to thank my friend for making me aware of George Orwell. THe name being familiar I took the book home (thus becoming a part of the relatives who borrow books without letting anyone know :) ).

The book itself is everything disturbing. I fail to remember if the ending was positive or not. But the thought that the government can control my thoughts is scary. Somehow I think they already manage to swing the majority thought process one way or the other. And do have a great influence on the public opinion. But to think that someone could monitor exactly what I am writing and thinking is worse than a horror movie.

I imagine supposed great men/women mislead by the belief that their opinions are sacred and the only way to control the bad in the world is by uniform rule. By making sure that nobody can think bad thoughts. Of course the word bad by itself can stand for different things.

So if you want a real life horror, go ahead read this book. I am not much of a brave soul. I refuse to watch scary movies, complaint of nightmares. George Orwell puts it down subtly. It takes a while for the reality of the book to sink in. You will have to read it to believe it!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good point there
may be i willget and buy the book 1984!

11:05 PM  
Blogger atma_tripta said...

Had been looking for the online version of the book after reading about it here. Is it avaliable online somewhere? Looks like a must read!
@

6:56 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

koi pahailee : hope you enjoy it:)
atma_tripta : I can see if my friend still has a online version of this book.. or i have one!

7:00 PM  
Blogger OtherHalf said...

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

That is 1984 in a searchable online form as they call it.

It is but a coincidence (if such things do exist;)) that i am currently reading the book, the paperback version, some how have a mind block against online books!

Nice blog you'll have here!

3:53 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

better_half : Thanks :) I never did read the third book and dunno what it was. just cause of online version. :(

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home