Friday, January 27, 2006

Chiller!

I should have written this post long ago. If we are talking about fiction, this is by far the best thriller I have ever read. Its not just the penmanship of Daphne Du Maurier, its the plot of Rebecca which is awesome.

I can rave and rave more about this book. It was made into a movie by one of the great directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. And the movie is just icing off the storyline.

Rebecca is a about a ghost, a ghost which lives through the memories of everyone she knew as a living person. The narration is all in first person, which makes it wonderful setting for the story. A lonely young women, marries a very silent and mysterious Maxim de Winter, in hope of a better life. The young bride is confronted by his past, his dead wife Rebecca. No matter how hard she tries, it seems difficult to outshine the beautiful and smart Rebbeca.

How she confronts the ghost of Rebecca and stumbles upon a sinster secret is for you to find out yourself. The climax is written very well and you will not stop reading once you get halfway through the book.

This is by far the best one Daphne Du Maurier has written. Several other authors have tried to immitate the storyline I believe. There is also a hindi movie based on the book Kohra starring Biswajeet. Anyway, enjoy the chilling tale.. !

6 Comments:

Blogger Koi Pahailee said...

will do so
seems interesting

1:30 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

kp: let me know how you like it.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Akanksha said...

i have already read it and as u said its an excellent book
i havent read anyother book by Daphne
i just finished reading catcher in the rye and to kill a mocking bird
both nice books tho overhyped
hav u read these?

1:09 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

I have read to kill a mocking bird, and i really loved it. Have you seen the movie? Thats a little more from Atticus finch angle.
I haven't read the catcher in the rye though. I should check it out.

7:35 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

My mother's been hounding me to read this book for a long time but I couldn't make it past the first chapter. But your review makes it sound promising...so thank you for writing this.

1:56 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

ideasmith : I know the first chapter is vague.. you have to wait till she gets to Manderly and they start mentioning Rebecca.
after that its all good I promise :)

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home