Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Aishwarya, Gurinder Chadda and Jane Austen

What do the above three have in common? Aishwarya tried to act in a movie which Gurinder Chadda tried to make (she did complete it and even release it and I honoured her by watching it!) which was at best a joke on the book by Jane Austen.

I am talking about Pride and Prejudice. Let me just forget the movie and talk about the novel here. The first time I read the book, ( and I really have to describe this!) it was a hard bound black book (borrowed!) with golden border on it. The book starts off with this line, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

The book is about 18th century England and all the people in the novel seem to be worried only about getting married. That would sum up the first impressions on reading the summary, etc.

Sure, the book is about that. But it is also about Pride and Prejudice, as the title predicts. Its about reservedness which projects as pride. Pride which lets this pretence to be carried out. Prejudice against the proud ensues. But in the end you realise that you have to be proud yourself to cause prejudice.

If I am speaking in riddles or talking utter nonsense, it is cause I am trying to summarize the novel without giving it away. Its really an age old love story (so there is nothing to give away ) and there is nothing exciting about the story by itself. Jane Austen however with her great penwomanship brings out her characters well.

Currently my post here is as bad as Gurinderji's movie (no offence meant!). What can I say but that you have to read the book to say what I am trying to say better!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been very kind to Gurinder Chadha. The film is horrendous and it is gross injustice to creativity of Jane Austin. Leave alone the way Chaddha creates stereotypes of India, Indian women. uggh!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Gurinder's movie lacked was depth which IS possible to achieve in what essentially was her comedic interpretation of the original classic. And it didnt work.

12:03 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

anon1: :) I should have replied to this comment long ago..but must have missed it.

anon2: Perhaps..I wasn't sure what her intention with that movie was..given all the hype.

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home